Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The friends you make when you're twelve


I've spent today doing absolutely nothing but sit and read ebooks on my computer. Not very productive, I know. What can I say? I'm a nerd sometimes. But never fear, I won't waste away and become vamp pale from sitting in front of a screen all day. I do have a life. A relatively boring one for the most part for which I have no compunction in blaming my college. But then I blame my college for everything so never mind.

Anyway, all the fun I've ever had was outside hell. Like when my friends and I get together for lunch, dinner, movies, random trips to anywhere with food, birthday parties, end-of-exam parties, I-feel-like-crap-and-I'm coming-to-your-place get-togethers, marking our territory in the city's few malls, morning walks, shopping, renting out movies and pizza, the occasional spot of trouble which we inevitably get into and simply, simply for spending time together for the heck of it.

Having best friends who have been with you for years is great. The good thing is that you're incredibly lucky to have actually found these people. There was this old movie I watched once which said something to the effect of 'no one makes friends in their life like the ones they had when they were twelve.' So true.

The bad thing is that you're utterly spoilt with the kind of friendship you share with these people that you just can't settle for anything less. It took me two years to make real friends in college. And even then, this comes nowhere near the kind of relationship I have with my school friends who are all, incidentally, surprisingly amazing. We're just so diverse and yet completely in sync with each other.
Numbered among our ranks are three future engineers, a future doctor, a future media person, a future psychologist and a future chartered accountant. Really, how cool is that?
I can totally see the lot of us sitting in a coffee shop when we're middle-aged. We'd most probably be pulling each other's legs, laughing too loud, complaining about the younger generation and how we can't fit into any of our old jeans anymore and being nauseatingly nostalgic.
Trust me, this kind of thing is way too special to fade with time, distance, adulthood and other annoying details.

0 comments: