Thursday, April 16, 2009

Meanderings of an idle mind - not all who wander are lost


I am so jobless and yet, so busy. Anyway, I'm jobless enough to write another blog entry so bear with me.

Okay, first things first. Creamy Inn is really good. I went there with a friend a couple of days ago. That's my pista delight and her strawberry crush up there. Looks good eh? The prices are quite reasonable too. As a college kid who is almost always broke I feel this is a very important requirement. Then we went to Sree Mithai right after that and had Dahi Vada. The place is really crowded in the evenings. We had to wait for about fifteen minutes before they got us what we wanted. I felt the wait was worth it though.


I went to my college yesterday to get my records signed by the HOD but since she derives great pleasure from being such a pain in the wrong place (as a friend of mine puts it), we were unceremoniously kicked out of college with nothing to show for it. What a total waste of four perfectly good hours. Anyway I made up for all that lost time by watching two movies (which I've already watched more than once) back to back after I got back home.

Mansfield Park:

This is one of the few movies which I enjoyed better than the book. It's got all the usual elements which make Jane Austen so popular and I believe it's one of the best love stories I've ever read.
The story is about Fanny Price who goes through everything impoverished relatives living with their more affluent relations as little more than domestic help go through and yet has the strength of character to refuse an apparently reformed rake in favour of her less charming and less wealthy cousin who has an infinitely better character. I love the way that the movie manages to avoid making Fanny look strait-laced and how Edmund isn't portrayed as boring and prosy just because he wants to be a clergyman.

Moral: Beware of reformed rakes. Regency authors tend to romanticize the spoiled rich guy who falls in love and changes his lifestyle for his true love. So not happening in real life. That's why it's called romantic fiction people.
Now that we've cleared up that little misconception, I must admit I have a thing going for the rakes…but strictly within the covers of Georgette Heyer's brilliantly witty novels.

The Patriot:

It's set in the period of the civil war in America. Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger are two of the main reasons this movie is so amazing. The little things like the Cherokee tomahawk and the Great Danes just add character to an already excellent story. Some say it's too violent (yeah, if you're still into PG movies) and it's definitely too dramatic. What else do you need when you're watching a movie? It makes you laugh, cry, think and love Mel Gibson. Perfect.

Moral: Er...freedom? Passion? Sacrifice? The indomitable spirit of freedom fighters? Take your pick.

My dad's on the road to recovery. If you call recovery walking around and telling people he's perfectly alright with my mom cutting in and saying he's not.
I haven't had time to touch my books yet. It's funny how that happens when you have time for everything else right?
I have a line up of movies I need to watch, books I simply must read, stuff I have to put down on paper and a room which is begging to be cleaned. And I love doing all this stuff. Yes, even cleaning my room because it gives me great job satisfaction. There’s this feeling of accomplishment when it is devoid of junk (stuff I throw out) and when I know exactly where all my stuff (junk I keep) is, a happy state of affairs which will last for a week at the most.

I tell you, this is the life. If you’re one of those busy, dynamic types take a minute to stop and ponder.
No, I don’t care what you ponder. Ponder the origin of mankind, ponder about God, ponder yesterday’s episode of ‘The big bang theory’, ponder why the lady next to you seems to have marinated herself in cheap perfume, ponder the uselessness of it all, ponder if your great grand daddy is still inhabiting the hallway on the second floor. By the end of it, I swear, the world will never seem the same again. And you might actually like it.

0 comments: