Friday, October 30, 2009

Rendezvous '09

That's what they called the reunion at school today. You know how you usually feel when you hear about reunions in school.
Your first thought will most probably be, 'Do I have to?'
Then you move on to 'No one I know is coming.'
After that you get to the 'Ok, I'll just look in for a few minutes and then scoot.'

Then you actually go there and it's like you never left.
The grounds, the trees, the sky, the basketball court, the buildings...every thing's so familiar it's like you were loitering around the school in the hopes of bunking class just yesterday.

The teachers remember you, they joke about what you did in their classes. You're hugging and exclaiming over people you generally ignored when you studied with them. Only, now they seem like a priceless link to the best days of your life. I know, it's a bit of an exaggeration. I always wanted to leave school when I was in it. It definitely didn't seem like the best days of my life then. But time has a funny way of erasing all the bad memories and leaving only the good. So even if it was crap sometimes, I don't remember it like that.





Anyway, coming back to the point from all that off-the-track rambling, you exchange phone numbers and take pictures. Most sounds uttered are high pitched squeals indicating another discovery of a long lost classmate. And it overwhelms you. I felt like it was the last place where I truly belonged. And the last place where I could make a fool of myself and laugh about it ten minutes later. And the last place where almost everyday was a bad hair day and I couldn't have cared less.

The school librarian remembers me. I know I went there every week to get a book, I know she stamped it out for me. She's even glared daggers at me for late returns. But still, I never expected her to remember me without the bad haircut and the pink uniform. I was seriously amazed that she did and that right there, was the best moment of my whole day.
Mrs.Pearl remembers me! Call me soft, but I still can't stop grinning like an idiot about it.

1 comments:

Sakura said...

I only remember the scary dungeon they call school at gopalapuram :(