Sunday, November 1, 2009

Matter matters.



Okay, my library’s been shifted to Tambaram and that effectively leaves me with nothing to read. I’m entirely dependant on the net and old issues of the National Geographic to tide me over. Of course, I have my semester exams in a week and I’m pretty hopeless. So I guess I should start reading my textbooks for a change. But they don’t have stories about killer whales and the Dongpo Pa and the Pecos River. They have no humour. Life is hard.

Yesterday, I saw a play called ‘Death’. It didn’t impress me very much. But they tried, I’ll give them that. I enjoyed spending time in French Loaf after the play with my friends even more where we discussed burning issues like, ‘who wants the last bite of the croissant?’


Oh yeah, there’s something else I wanted to say. In today’s papers there were at least four articles on social networking, all of them basically saying the same thing in different ways with attempts at humour which ceased to be funny by the time people stopped checking their orkut account.
‘Brave new worlds beckon’
‘What’s your love life status?’
‘Be what you want to be’
And this is just from today’s papers. Give it up already. Everyone already knows all about face book and twitter and second life. It is no longer a novelty which you need to milk for all it’s worth.


We know all the dangers, we know the perks and we know about the perverts out there who will use your phone number and address if you’re stupid enough to put it up on the net.


I’m getting tired of reading articles where the writer informs the world of the uninitiated, in tones a Mayan priest might have used to tell people why the gods needed the latest human sacrifice, about status messages in face book and how it can range from the mundane (‘Kavya just ate an apple’) to the boring to the occasionally informative or humourous. Stop writing about it and start writing about something we don’t already know! I realize my rant adds another article to the wide array of rants about networking sites but hey, someone has to point out that we need better articles in the newspaper.


Talking about articles, check out today’s TOI (Sunday Times), page two for ‘Go easy on the pitch, buddy.’ It’s hilarious and very well expressed.
Go on, get off of that chair and get the paper.

0 comments: