Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tempus Fugit - Part 2


Day 5:
Started the day trying to wake Charms up to go walking but was sadly unsuccessful. So I had to settle for a quick sunrise on the terrace whilst listening to Sara Bareilles belting out ‘Love song’ and ‘Bottle it up’. I spent the rest of the day lazing around and I visited the library in the evening. I decided to get P.G. Wodehouse on a whim and spent the rest of the evening chuckling to myself as Bertram Wooster and his butler Jeeves found themselves in unlikely but very funny situations.
End of day five.



Day 6:
It was the old shuttle cock fiasco again. But we played considerably better than the last disastrous attempt and did not draw as many amused glances as before. By the time we decided to leave I’m sure we were on the verge of being unceremoniously kicked out by the old and respectable citizens frequenting the park.

At home, after a couple of hours of doing nothing, my thoughts alighted on the magnificent keyboard my father had got me years ago which was in comfortable retirement in one corner of my room.

I printed out the sheet music for ‘Hey there Delilah’, hunted through my old books for ‘Smallwood’s Piano Tutor’, cleaned up the keyboard and settled down to dazzle myself with my latent musical prowess. Only after banging away half the song did I realize that the treble clef was wrongly printed one note higher.
I decided that I had played enough for one day and closed the whole thing up again.
Geniuses can’t over exert themselves you know.
I then spent most of the remaining time talking with my friends over the phone.
End of day six.



Day 7:
Shuttle cock. By this time, I shouldn’t have to tell you, we were pros. So there was just this slight bit of a swagger as we abused that poor cock.
We were regulars by then. Everywhere we turned we saw familiar faces. There seemed to be a resigned acceptance to our presence in the park. Maybe they realized they can’t really kick us off public property.

The evening was…different. We attended a meeting based on the word of one of our younger brothers who guaranteed an evening of fun. It was okay but I will not deny that I wished several times during the proceedings to be elsewhere.
But all was not lost. We decided to recuperate in Creamy Inn where I believe the topics of conversation revolved around Africa, gorillas and Phantoms (the car, not the ghost).

Again, the establishment did not look kindly upon our undignified mirth.

We (my friends and I) have often pondered the more unfathomable mysteries of our characters, the predominant feature of which being a marked absence of anything approaching dignity when more than one of us has gathered to wreak general havoc on the unsuspecting populace.
Is this natural? (We ask ourselves.) Now that we’re considered adults shouldn’t we at least try for a little dignity? Then we decided…
Nah.
End of day seven.


Day 8:
Having watched ’27 dresses’ into the early hours of the morning, I woke up at a suitably advanced hour. Then I was off to Rushi’s place for her mom’s famous cheese parathas and paneer pakodas for lunch. Then Charms, Kay and I decided to bug Remy again. It’s amazing how much fun you can have watching a movie with your friends at home even if you’ve watched it before. After thoroughly dissecting Wolverine on several levels and getting high on nothing in particular, it was time to go home.

At this point I’d like to thank Charms for trusting me with her life.
It humbles me that you sat behind me on that Activa as I endangered your life in heavy traffic without screaming even once Charms.
You are an amazing girl.
End of day eight.


And it’s a wrap people.
Tomorrow’s a new day. I’m going back to college. You never know, it might not be so bad.

0 comments: