Friday, April 2, 2010

Another Twentieth

It’s Kay’s birthday today. Most of the gang are officially twenty now and the charm is kind of wearing off. Of course, it was a lot of fun and I was bowled over by Kay’s awesome nachos. Not to mention the rest of that fabulous meal. And the cake. And the ice cream and jelly. God, sometimes food just makes your day.


The rest of the day was spent mostly in social satire involving pop stars who have barely entered their teens, kidding the birthday girl and taking loads of pictures. Oh and sticking heart stickers on our phones. Don’t even ask.



Weirdly, there was none of the usual madness which accompanies birthdays. Maybe we’ve just celebrated too many birthdays this month. Yeah, that must be it. I’m suffering from birthday burn-outis: a rare medical condition which lowers your adrenaline levels on birthdays and makes you write angst-ridden blog entries.


Speaking of medical conditions, yesterday I either had a sympathetic reaction which made all my blood flow to my feet or an anaphylactic reaction to a vaccine. In simple terms, I blacked out for a few moments. Anyway, it wasn’t a lot of fun when it happened but it sure was funny to everyone else after I got over it. I would like to impart a piece of wisdom here: Life generally plots against you when it comes to any funny business. You so rarely derive the same pleasure from other people’s sympathetic and anaphylactic reactions than the joy they seem derive from yours.
Sad.

0 comments: