Thursday, December 17, 2009

Life is a delicate negotiation

Third year has it perks. For one thing, we have this cool dude teaching us data mining and data warehousing. Let me tell you this up front, this entry has nothing to do with data mining and warehousing. This is basically because I don’t really know what it’s all about yet and also because the professor is a funny guy whose jokes are more interesting than his lectures.

Apart from the usual snubs he delivers indiscriminately to all who attempt to finish their math assignments in his class, he also accepts snubs gracefully from the class with nothing more than a ‘you people should act your age.’ That’s pretty mild actually. Any other member of the illustrious staff would have had an aneurysm and turned homicidal if we’d made a reference to their bald spot and/or spewed corny lines from Tamil movies and giggled at it every five minutes to annoy them.


I’m also apparently a part of the college choir. The best thing about this is that I get to bunk a lot of boring classes. The bad thing is that it gets really irritating when Some People (I name no names) who can sing louder than others and use terms like pitch and notes, boss around those who can’t.

Imagine this: a bunch of girls get together and have hush-hush conversations about which note they should start the song on, (It’s just We Three Kings, for heaven’s sake, not the opera) so that everyone else will suck less.

On one hand, I’m glad someone else is in charge of the whole thing and taking the flak from higher authorities on our suckiness as a choir. On the other hand, sitting and listening to them bickering and listening to them telling us to be a ‘Little Louder, People!’ and being rude to the not-so-popular is not my idea of fun. And strangely, no one seems to like it when I start humming ‘God rest ye merry gentlemen’ at odd moments to relieve the boredom and introduce a more festive spirit. Sad.



On account of the whole bunking-class thing, I now have a load of work piling up slowly but steadily. However, quoting from the movie The Dog Problem (Yes, I love Solo’s little dog just like everyone else), life is a delicate negotiation. So I suppose I should spend more time on Bresenham’s algorithms and less time on my blog.

Why does that depress me?

0 comments: