Sunday, December 6, 2009

Interpersonal relationships


A friend of mine was mad at me for a few days before she told me why. So there were some Amazingly Fun days of cold shoulders and curt replies. I had no clue if she was just annoyed with life in general, annoyed with other people or annoyed with me. As it turned out, apparently it was all me.

In certain circumstances, it sucks being non-confrontational more than it would have sucked being confrontational. Also, it sucks being clueless. I'm highly bad at this. If you left me to my own devices I would avoid any and all confrontations in life and remain blissfully clueless about my many unforgivable transgressions.

On my end, I keep making excuses for other people because of the whole innocent-until-proven-guilty thing and because I really don't want to fight with them when what I should be doing is hitting them over the head for being block headed asses.

The bright side is that sometimes they tell you that you hurt them and after you apologize, they forget about it and everyone is chummy again over a cup of coffee and some biscuits without the whole mess of a fight ever happening. I love people like that.

Other times, it's like a festering sore which just keeps getting worse and worse and ends up in a lot of silent resentment and dislike. As Oscar Wilde put it,'that awful memory of woman! What a fearful thing it is!' Things which may seem mundane to you are kept alive through constant feelings of ill usage and hate, finally cumlinating in even the end of a friendship or a supernova-like fight of epic proportions.
That sucks.

0 comments: