Saturday, May 9, 2009

R.I.P

I’m suddenly very interested in epitaphs. Think about it, what would you want your grave to say? Something about the after life? Something funny? Something which will tell people what kind of life you had led? Or how you died? What you meant to the people in your life?
Here are a few epitaphs I like:


Here lies the body of this world,
Whose soul alas to hell is hurled.
This golden youth long since was past,
Its silver manhood went as fast,
An iron age drew on at last;
'Tis vain its character to tell,
The several fates which it befell,
What year it died, when 'twill arise,
We only know that here it lies

-Epitaph on the World (A poem by Henry David Thoreau)



I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. .
-Winston Churchill


Here lies Arthur, the once and future king.
-King Arthur

I told you I was sick!
-In a Georgia cemetery


Effie Jean Robinson
1897-1922
Come blooming youths, as you pass by,
And on these lines do cast an eye.
As you are now, so once was I;
As I am now, so must you be;
Prepare for death and follow me.

(Underneath this someone had added)
To follow you
I am not content
How do I know
Which way you went.


I’m curious, what would you like your epitaph to say? If you know, please comment.

1 comments:

praveenius said...

To save your world you asked this man to die;
Would this man, could he see you now, ask why?
- Epitaph of an Unknown Soldier