Monday, August 17, 2009

Weekends to live for

After an extreme case of writer’s block, I’m back with so much to write that I doubt I can make everything fit in one entry. First off, Charms’ birthday went great. Everyone who was crazy enough to get up at an insanely early hour totally loved it. We didn’t manage to catch a perfect sunrise but I loved the one that did put in an appearance. After all the craziness at the beach, we crashed at Remy’s place and cut the cake Princess baked. There are two things P can do amazingly well: scream and bake cakes. It’s a good combination. Then we had breakfast at the Murugan idly shop which is expensive but pretty good. It was a good way to spend a birthday.


(Fast forward to the next weekend. I mean, who cares what happens in between??!)

I took an off on Friday and spent my Independence Day in Bangalore. I don’t know about the nation but any day when I don’t feel the need to whine about my college is what independence is all about for me. And Bangalore was great. I haven’t had this much fun since…the last weekend. Only that lasted for like 3 hours while this lasted for three glorious days.
We visited the Lalbagh garden. There was a flower show going on. I’m more of a trees person myself so I wasn’t really too impressed with that but the trees there…wow. Pretty impressive. The technological museum rocked as well. My dad took around a thousand photos. I kid you not. So I’ll put up some of those in this entry.

Day two was almost entirely spent shopping. I tell you, I made a killing. I’m not one to freak out shopping but I totally lost it this time. What can I say? The temptation was too great for a mere mortal. Talking about my excesses, I ate way too much. In the three days I spent there, I ate out three times. Nagarjuna was okay but I loved Balal. Empire had a lot of mid-eastern food which I’m not very partial to. At home, everyone basically stuffed me as much they possibly could. I can’t remember the last time I ate so much. Thank God my new jeans still fit.

We also saw the Parliament house, the High court, the musical fountain show and we even went up to the 23rd floor of the utility building to get an aerial view of Bangalore. Apart from the amazing weather, I also liked the fact that people just dress better there. And they have this thing with sneakers. A lot of guys wear sneakers. My most recent muse is a converse. The chances of moi getting anything in the next six months to one year however are extremely minute so it’ll have to remain a muse for a while longer.

We also attended (I use the term loosely) some pre-reception thing of one of my dad’s colleague's nieces. Nothing great about that. Except that she’s marrying a French guy.
Cool.
However, the minute they asked me to go and sit down to what looked like a full out mehendi session for all the girls (and even the guys. French guys. Someone should have told them that that stuff is for girls.) I knew I had to get out of there. French or not, no one’s going to make me sit around with a bunch of girls (and guys) waiting for stuff on their hands to dry.

Of course, what really made it great was the company. Aunty G is a retired English teacher who stumbles on old students everywhere from ticket reservation counters to Levi show rooms. Uncle loves to make miniature boat models. And they have a cute daschund called Terry. Everyone else was a lot of fun as well. I was never more in charity with all my relatives. They’re cool people really, when they’re not forcing me to attend weddings and wear salwars.

I warned you it was going to be a long entry. Now that it’s over, I have a perfectly mundane week to look forward to. It’s raining out though. That makes a big difference.






0 comments: