Saturday, August 8, 2009

Things that ought to change...




Civic sense, or rather the lack of it, is one of the major barriers to a developed India. Educated people spitting on the roads, well-dressed men getting out of fancy cars to urinate on the roadsides and women and children throwing garbage on the streets are sadly, a common sight.
Frankly, this should scare us more than the under privileged ‘slum people’ who bear the brunt of the ire when their life of squalor crosses our line of vision.
One of my biggest regrets about this city is the Cooum, a.k.a the Buckingham canal. Every time I cross it I feel that it has the potential to be one of the most beautiful things in the city and look at what it is today. It’s a big drain for every kind of effluent you can find making it the dirtiest water body in the city.
I don’t know how many times I’ve looked at it and thought to myself, ‘Something must be done.’
It’s easy to say that, isn’t it?
I remember seeing pictures of Madras in the early 1900’s in a Saravana Bhavan restaurant. The Buckingham canal around the 1920’s was actually used as a major means of transportation. Nearly a century later, it stinks. Literally.
Things have this way of getting very complicated when you sit down and wonder what you can do, like I’m doing now and I’m drawing a blank. If history repeats itself, where are we going to be in another century?

1 comments:

Raghaavendra S said...

Well... I'm your neighbour Bangalore,who's also got furious many-a- times in this regard...
The most unfortunate thing is-we most of the Indians aren't considerate about the public amenities.The reason being a narrow mindset which confines us to the very personal of our belongings...
I'd blame that to the failure of our culture,but as an individual each of us ought to take up the responsibility proactively and do our part...I don't see any other pragmatic means to counter this nuisance...

(By the way,I just came across ur blog after clicking NEXT BLOG tab from my blog page,and felt this was something i had to say..)