Friday, December 30, 2011

Superstitions

Training's over. This seems significant now, but so did the end of school and college. I'm guessing that's kind of how life goes. An end, a beginning and a lot of crazy things in between. Then it happens again. And again. And then I blog about it.

In the past few months, I think one of the major adjustments I've had to make was interacting with people. It isn't always easy to find people you can connect with and I was never good at adapting myself to opinions and habits I don't hold with. In the process of trying to get along with people and trying to change myself, I've made a discovery. A lot of people who are clever and educated and intelligent are still superstitious.

The most prominent one I've seen is the refusal to eat meat on certain days. I've asked some of my closer friends and acquaintances why they do that, and mostly the answer is that their family has always followed it and they're used to it. One of my friends even believes that washing her hair on certain days could affect her siblings.

This is one of those situations which is like walking on thin ice for me. I'm fairly straightforward which means that I've trodden on a few toes and in a professional environment, I can't really afford to do that, can I? Of course, these people are still my peers and friends so it's alright for now, but what if I snort at the wrong moment when my manager's talking to me? (Disclaimer : still haven't got a manager, by the way. So, purely hypothetical situation.However, knowing me it's entirely plausible.)

So yeah, next time someone tells me that writing the alphabet on rice is going to make them smarter or that crows are the reincarnation of our dead grandparents, I'm going to smile and say, 'Oh?' Then I will try hard to stop myself from making a sarcastic rejoinder. And I will not snort into my milkshake.

But if you're a friend, prepare yourself for a long conversation, buddy. What else will we talk about during lunch? 

0 comments: