Saturday, December 31, 2011

Memories of Mysore - Day Zero

Every new year I feel like I'm getting this nice, new page to write on. There are also more and more pages of memories added to my repertoire. We're all just living, breathing books waiting to be written and read, after all.

The past four months have gone by in a blur. I have too many memories of my training at Infosys, Mysore and I can't put it all in one post, so i'm going to split it into significant bits and pieces which have stuck in my mind.

Beginning at day one or rather Day Zero, my first glimpse of the campus wasn't too clear. I was too anxious about the joining formalities, my luggage and my mind was mostly occupied with whether I had remembered to bring all my certificates. All I knew was that it was clean, ostentatiously large and did not at all look formidable. Before I knew it, I had collected an ID card on a yellow tag, the introduction kit, and my room keys and I was dropped off with my hideously large suitcase and one travel bag in front of my hostel block.

My first thought as I looked at the hostel from outside was that I had somehow amazingly landed somewhere I could fit into with no trouble. Not a common feeling with me, trust me. The hostel had large lawns, interconnecting stone pathways, a canopy of trees filtering rays of sunlight from a enamel blue sky, and no hostel warden types hanging around. Perfect.

I left my bags in my room (007!) and helped another girl lug her enormous suitcase up two flights of stairs. When I came back, I took in the room and was pretty happy about it. It had everything a hotel room usually provides you with + a stunningly gorgeous view through large glass windows.

And don't even get me started on the bathroom. All I was thinking was, 'Wow. Pinch me.' A good bathroom is vital to happiness. Where else will you day dream?

Some of the first things I learnt was that taking a bicycle on some paths was not advisable because they were all uphill. All the guards are multi-lingual and very helpful. Standing in queue at the food courts was a way of life. You could use the electric kettle in your room to boil water for your bath if the hot water's late in coming...one mug at a time. Walking was inevitable.

Also, you can see 21 year olds from the length and breadth of India. The atmosphere's young, happening and totally awesome.You can walk through the campus at 3 a.m without a care in the world and encounter couples taking walks or groups of guys sitting in the smoking zones and laughing.

Of course, this was later. I got lost on my first day. Everything looked the same and I had to get instructions from every security guard I passed. Dinner with my college mates and friends at a food court called 'Oasis' was the final act for the day.

Relatively speaking, this was one of my better first days. I didn't cry, get depressed or fake a stomach ache. All of which I did during my other memorable first days involving academia. There is hope for me after all.

0 comments: