Friday, April 8, 2011

Project Documentation

I'm done with the documentation for my final year project! Trust me, it was a big headache. And I mean BIG.

First off, it has to follow an exact format which no one knew about. After foraging amongst the discards from our seniors, we finished it and was immediately informed that we'd done everything wrong. I must have taken print outs of the damn thing at least three times and suffered from high blood pressure before getting it verified. And mind you, we couldn't just replace the wrong pages because all the page numbers would change. And we had to scrap an entire chapter about the development tool, because the project-in-charge thought that it would be inappropriate to have a chapter about a development tool we hadn't developed, but it was totally okay to shove all the stuff under that chapter into other chapters unobstrusively. 

And it cost us a small fortune to get four copies of the thing printed out and bound. Made us regret the fact that we hadn't made a much shorter document. Then it was a day or two of unbridled tension over how we would get the thing signed from people who chose that exact moment to be unavailable. 

And all for what? Nothing. Those four beautifully soft-bound copies with color printouts of all the screenshots will never see the light of day again and will most probably spend the rest of their life lying in forgotten corners and hopefully, being recycled. 

On the brighter side, I finish college in three weeks. Woo hoo.

P.S: Anna Karenina and Emma are must-reads. And I've started with Shantaram. I haven't read enough to form a definite opinion about it yet, but I'm waiting to see how it will turn out.  

0 comments: