Friday, March 18, 2011

The things I've learnt in college.

I've been blogging for more than two years now and those of you who have been following it from the beginning or even started much later will know that I haven't exactly been very cheerful or happy about my college life. My college has excellent infrastructure, a lot of qualified professors and good food. On the downside, it's extremely restrictive, almost dictatorial and a pain in the you-know-where.

At the end of it all, I think about what I've gained and I see a couple of job offers and a mentality which can survive bureaucracy. I've been stripped of the naive idealism which characterized my school days. I now know that it is possible to know nothing and still get a masters degree and teach as a professor in a 'good' college like mine.




It is true that sucking up to the 'right' people will give you faster results than being sincere.

I've also realized that some of the worst people to be stuck with on an assignment or project are dominating, selfish or indifferent teammates.




I lost my faith in religion and I've learnt to mistrust people who use religion as a smokescreen.

I learnt the hard way that sometimes you don't get along with someone for a reason, and it's better to cut your losses than to make yourself miserable by holding on.

Also, following the crowd or giving in when your heart's not in it will never turn out to be better than if you'd listened to your own counsel, especially when the crowd isn't too wise to begin with.




I know that real friends and family are the only people who give a damn about you. And real friends are notoriously hard to find. Be friendly with everyone, but choose your friends with a lot of care.




Love isn't corny or lame when you're in love with the right person.




I've also been told by a lot of really smart people not to sweat the small stuff and experience everything I can.




And trust me, there's so much more to be learnt outside the classroom than in it.

0 comments: